Spruce Up Your Unfinished Basement!
Although currently dimly lit and a little rough on the eyes, your unfinished basement still
has a lot of potential. With just a little love and the help of the following ideas, you can
spice it up in no time and get some great use out of the space.
- Add a pop of color. Give your basement a whole different look without a big renova-
tion by adding some color to space. Consider painting and sealing the floors, opening
up the room by painting the rafters white or a light color, or creating a bold accent wall.
- Divide the space. Want to make your basement a multi-use room? Partition out the
area by installing an inexpensive curtain system. This can be done either with a cur-
tain track or a simple wire, some hooks, and curtains will suffice.
- Add foam mats. Whether you’d like to use the basement as a home gym to get a
quick workout in or a place for the kids to play and rough house, adding some foam
mats into the mix is a great and easy solution. They come in various colors and can
quickly be picked up and tucked away if need be.
- Use a large rug. As an alternative to adding mats, find a large, eye-catching rug to
be used as a focal point, and furnish the area around it.
- Add lighting. Basements often offer very little built-in lighting and few outlets around
the room. Consider stringing café lighting across space from the rafters to give a nice
ambiance and glow without any difficult electrical work. A wall sconce can be a great
addition to dimly-lit stairs.
A basement is your opportunity to customize your home. Use these tips to make it a space you love!